Lost daughters, half sisters, connections. #52ancestors is good for many things, not the least of which is getting me to acknowledge the limits of my online research capabilities. This week I try to track down each of the children of Martha Eliza Hine Brown.
Mattie, as she appears to have been called by family, was the eldest daughter of James Edwin Hine (1837-1915) and Catherine E. Tyrrrel Hine (1842-1868), born 24 September 1864 in Orwell, PA. She was the older sister of Minnie Arabella Hine. In 1887, she married a widower named William Amos Brown. He had two children by his first wife Bessie Purvis: Camilla May Brown (1876-1966) and Annabelle Brown (1878-1964).
Mattie Hine Brown and William Amos Brown settled in Athens and had five children:
- Edna L. Brown (1893-1984) married Lyman Edward Talada, moved to Michigan
- Rachel A. Brown (1894-1990) married Daniel William Bean, stayed in Athens
- Vera Margrette Brown (1897-1972) married Charles Gustav Peter Friedericks, moved to Reading, PA
- Thelma Augusta Brown (1901-1984) married Harold Fred Chase, moved to Los Angeles, CA
- John Edwin Brown (1904-1983) did not marry, lived in Sayre, PA
Mattie died of something called quick consumption on 16 April 1913 and is buried in Tioga Point Cemetery in Athens with William Amos Brown (1854-1941).