This week in #52Ancestors and #52familyphotographs I start on the process of fleshing out the branches of the Van Syckel family tree. I wrote about Chester Van Syckel last year and at the time did a bit of research on his siblings but not enough, never enough! So this blog is about Amanda Van Syckel (28 June 1834 to 28 September 1917).
I can find very little about Amanda prior to her marriage to Theodore J. Hoffman on 22 February 1855. There’s not that much available on her after that fact either. She and Theodore had eleven children, seven surviving to adulthood. She does not even merit an obituary, although Theodore got special accolades for being the oldest alumnus of Rutgers when he died in 1922. He was a lawyer in Somerville, New Jersey and I suppose she occupied herself with eleven pregnancies and raising seven children:
- Alletta Hoffman (1855-1941)
- Joseph V. Hoffman (1857-1894)
- Kate V. Hoffman (1859-1862)
- Mary E. Hoffman (1861-1943)
- Alexander B. Hoffman (1863-1864)
- Louisa C. Hoffman (1865-1866)
- Ann E. Hoffman (1868-1868)
- Alice V. Hoffman (1869-?)
- Clara Hoffman (1871-1949)
- Frank C. Hoffman (1873-1943)
- Ogden Hoffman (1876-1948)
Amanda Van Syckel died 28 September 1917 and is buried in the New Somerville cemetery in Somerset County, New Jersey.